About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Friday, October 16, 2009

New Studio Space!

So if you read my last blog you know that I've been moving a lot. I left the wonderful little basement pottery studio and office/jewelry workspace on Hendersonville road. I spent the summer in Bearwood with carpeted floors and therefore no way of throwing on my pottery wheel.
It was an emotionally draining summer and one where I lacked the motivation to do pretty much anything. Needless to say, I made nothing along the lines of jewelry or pottery. In fact, I haven't touched a piece of clay or a glass bead since May. Life has been too hectic for me to have any time for my hobbies.

Things are better now though, actually the best they've ever been! I decided not to move to Raleigh so I spent most of the summer house hunting and I bought a house! I closed August 24th and now, in the middle of October, have finally gotten the house in order and where I want it to be. I am fully unpacked, organized and even have the place decorated to my liking! And the best part is I found a house with not only an office but also a full basement so I have both a jewelry workspace and pottery studio!

Here is my jewelry desk set up in the new office and my pottery on display:


My roll top desk is across the room so I use the same chair and can roll is around the room to my various drawers full of jewelry supplies, same as in the Hendersonville House office. Its a nice set up, small but it works. I plan to hang up some small tackle boxs for my beads on the wall above the jewelry desk.

And here is the basement studio:

There's ton's of room in the basement for all of my pottery equipment! I will be going to Lowe's this coming weekend to buy shelves for the wall behind the wheel and also a sink to hook up to the left of the wheel. I am hunting for a kiln as well, which will fit perfectly on the gravel porch in the back yard. And I have a little nook beside the wheel, just outside of the photo above, that I will make a space for glazes. Its the perfect set up!

I haven't thrown yet because I have no sink in the basement and also because I've just been too busy. I wanted to get the house painted and decorated so I could feel settled in before I got back into my hobbies. I am ready to throw again though.

I've displayed some of my finished pieces throughout the house and want to make more. I went with a beach theme throughout the whole house so my Sand and Sea pieces work perfectly with the decor!


















To see pictures of the whole house check out my Facebook album.


Keep checking back! I'll be blogging again now that I'm finally settled in and have my own studio space once again!

No comments: