About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Much Needed Motivation!

Last night I sat down to write a quick blog, just as a little update for everyone, and I started getting a little negative in my writing. I have been slowing getting work back from Waynesville (that I threw months ago!) and I haven't been happy with my work. I haven't felt like I've been getting pieces back that I was proud of, that I wanted to show to anyone as my work. I also wasn't selling anything on Etsy. Then I got my first lidded frog jar back:


Isn't he adorable?!? I'm so happy with how he turned out, especially after I painted his features with some acrylic, bake-on paint I've been experimenting with. He's everything I've wanted my work to be: unique, fun and an eye-catcher. I love him!
Now I just can't wait to get my other one back cause it has legs and a tongue! I have the lid of it and painted its features already and next week I should be getting his body back from Waynesville (it was fired yesterday). I'm so excited!

And even better, I sold another piece on Etsy! I decided to list a couple bowls that I was originally saving for Pura-Vita. I figured why not, if they don't sell I'll put them in the gallery and if they do, I'll just make more. Well one sold the day I listed it!


So I'm really excited now, and in a much better mood than I was last night. Now I'm just ready to get more pieces finished! I picked up my first bisque pieces from Odyssey last week and dropped off more green ware for firing. Monday night I plan to go and spend an hour or so glazing all of those pieces. I have three Sand and Sea bowls in that mix, as well as two more snake mugs, a snake vase, my lidded "apple" jar and lidded jar with coiled snake handle. I'm really anxious to get those pieces glazed and possibly show some work to the owner of New Morning Gallery. She buys work out-right and I would love to get some work in there for Christmas. I know I'm pushing it for time but I can always dream! And now I'm finally getting work back that I'm really proud of and I'm ready to show off!

Also, I got my business cards in the mail and they turned out darker than they had looked online. They still catch the eye but I'm not very happy with them and will have to find another printer after they've run out. I need to buy some card holders and go to some restaurants downtown and ask if I can put my cards on their counters and what-not. I'll see if I can talk someone in to walking around downtown with me one night this week or next weekend to do it. This way I can get some last minute advertising done for my Etsy before the holidays.

So that's my good news and general update. I'm to the point where all of my Christmas presents are safely bisque fired and now just need glaze so I'll finish those up Monday and can begin to focus more on inventory for galleries and Etsy!

No comments: