About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Monday, December 8, 2008

A Weight Off My Shoulders

I just got back from glazing for the first time at the Odyssey. I spent the evening there and got every bisque piece I had glazed! Its such a relief to have gotten it all done and now I just have to be patient and wait for everything to be fired! However, my roommate Brad's Christmas present has yet to come out of the kiln, along with two gifts for my sisters. They just didn't make it into the firing with the other pieces I left there last week. Its no problem, I'll go another night next week and glaze again. I did a piece to test some colors in tonight's glazing and if it comes out well I'll have 25 more pieces to glaze the same way so I'll have plenty to glaze next week.
I think its funny that Brad's piece is still unfinished though. The thing has given me nothing but grief! I threw it the first time, got it fired and glazed and the glaze was so thick is ruined the piece! I attempted to throw the thing numerous times after that and they ended up wet wads of clay only to be recycled. Two attempts became different piece entirely and are now just lonely, pathetic bisque pieces I don't know that I like enough even to glaze! The, I guess forth attempt really, yielded an awesome result, I loved it...then I broke it trying to take it to the Odyssey for firing. Once I got the final piece thrown and assembled and safely to the Odyssey I was so happy! Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it makes it safely out of the kiln and I can glaze it without a hitch and finally get it finished!
But anyway, a great weight has been lifted now and I'm so happy its done! And my first experience glazing at the Odyssey was wonderful! I was surrounded by friendly people and yet had plenty of room to work. The glazes were amazing, with a great variety of colors and all mixed so well! It reminded me of glazing during my class at Mars Hill and I loved it! Now I can't wait to see my results!!!

No comments: