About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Monday, November 10, 2008

Asheville River Arts District Studio Stroll

I went to the Studio Stroll in the River Arts District this weekend and had an amazing time! I got to see a lot of pottery and see it with a new eye since last year I was only a jeweler. My wonderful boyfriend, Tenzie, came with me and though it's not really his thing to walk around art galleries, he does it with a smile just for me. I guess after three years the boy has realized there's no getting around it.

We went to every open studio in the district this year so it was a long day and a lot of walking, but it was well worth it! I encourage everyone to try to go next year, either in July or November.

My favorite studios/artists were Jonas Gerard, Desert Moon Designs, Meagan Chaney and Clayspace.

-Jonas Gerard is a painter and the best way I can describe his work is to say that he leaves his tools behind. Most of his paintings are not just paint and canvas but have a paintbrush left in the paint. He also does sculptures that look like 3-D graffiti. The artist himself is a colorful man too, he has the voice of the godfather but a sense of humor and for the brief moment that I heard him speak I really enjoyed listening to him.

- Desert Moon Designs is a husband and wife duo that does bright glass work and jewelry. They have a really fun studio that I enjoyed this year just as much as last year.

- Meagan Chaney is a younger artist, maybe just a bit older than I am, and her work is so unique I can hardly describe it. Her wall-hangings are like nothing else and I would love to have one in every room of my house someday.

- Clayspace is a new studio started by an artist from Marshall, Josh Copus. I had attempted to interview him during an amazing internship I did last summer (I think I'll write a blog about that in fact) because one of the potters I interviewed recommended I speak with him. Unfortunately Josh had just moved here and I could never get a phone number. Anyway, he's another artist that's around my age and I guess I just find inspiration in that alone, that someone my age can be so successful in their work already. So after reading articles about Josh and his work I finally got to see it in person which was great.

I also really enjoyed watching the demonstrations done at various galleries too. Tenzie and I watched glass blowing and we saw a guy make three ornaments. I think I could have watched him do it all day and it made Tenzie want to try it. Of course though, the pottery demonstrations were the best! I met Greg, one of the artists that rents space in the Odyssey. He was doing throwing demonstrations and was happy to talk to me about the studio and how rental works. He said everyone there is really friendly and helpful and he encouraged me to become a member. After talking to him I was really excited about the place and I have decided to start firing my work there! I'm excited to have found a place so close to home and since I made the decision the ideas for new work have been running through my head non-stop! I've decided that for Christmas, I need a sketchbook to carry around with me so I can draw all of my pottery and jewelry ideas whenever something comes to me. It'll clear up some space in my head since it feels so crammed full of ideas right now.

But anyway, Tenzie and I spent at least a half hour just watching throwing demonstrations and I learned a new technique I really want to try. I can't remember the name and it would take FOREVER for me to describe it so I'll just throw a piece and take a picture to show everyone in a later blog.

I have to say that the highlight of the day though, was the discovery of a new artist, Joey Sheehan. His pottery and glazing techniques are incredible and some of my favorite work! He is one of the resident assistants at the Odyssey and his work was on display during the stroll. Check out his website and look at the picture below...amazing!
I'd been so bummed out about not having a place to fire my work that I almost didn't go to the Studio Stroll, but now I'm so glad I did! I haven't thrown new work, other than Christmas presents, in at least a week but that ends tonight! Now I can't wait to throw and bring my work to the Odyssey for firing and glazing. So tonight I throw and tomorrow I am going to Waynesville to pick up some of my finished work. Tonight I swear I will take some pictures while I'm working and post them and by Wednesday I will have photos of my new work on here as well. Keep checking back, there is so much more to come!

1 comment:

Meagan Chaney Gumpert said...

Thanks so much for the shout out! So glad you and Tenzie enjoyed the Stoll. Hope to see you back in June!
Cheers!
Meagan