About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Signature Piece

It seems every artist has a special something that defines their work as their own. With most artists, you can look at a piece of their work and know that it is theirs by a certain style or characteristic their pieces share. I have never had that. My work has always been so random, so different. I offer a really wide variety of styles, especially of jewelry, and no two pieces look alike enough to show they were made by the same hands. I have never been too concerned with this issue because I feel like my work attracts a wider variety of buyers, it appeals to many different styles. However, with my pottery I feel I have now developed my signature piece and that is the "Sand and Sea Turtle" design. This was a design I came up with all on my own. Mom of course gave me the glass idea, but using the sand textured clay and creating a beach scene was mine.

A lot of my ideas, as many artists do, stem from other's creation that I take and make my own but this design was mine from the start and I take pride in that. So I started creating quite a few "Sand and Sea" pieces and plan to make scenes with little crabs, sea shells, etc. and I feel these will be my best sellers to the local galleries. I have also taken the image of my first finished "Sand and Sea" bowl and used it as my business card background and banner (see card below and banner at the top of my page).
I'm really excited that I finally have a piece that defines my true style. I loved my first "Sand and Sea Turtle" bowl so much I've decided to keep it and it is my favorite piece of pottery thus far! So you will be seeing a lot more of this design and hopefully not just on here and Etsy, but in some local galleries as well.
Never fear though, I will still be making other pieces as well. Tenzie and I talked about it and he made a good point, that if I turn to only making this style of pottery I am going to be targeting a certain audience and no others. If I continue to create a wide variety of pieces I will continue to appeal to more buyers and most likely make more sales. Also, I don't want to get burnt out or bored with this one design. So my jewelry and pottery selection will remain as random as always, but now I will at least have one signature piece that people will see and recognize as the work of Mallory Trasport.

No comments: