About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Jewelry!

I have a confession to make: I HATE the winter. Or I guess more specifically, I hate cold weather. I hate winter clothes and feeling constricted when I'm bundled up to brave the cold, I hate living in a cold house and having to wear socks and slippers to walk on the cold wood floor. I hate it! All I want to do in the winter is take hot showers and then lay in bed in front of my heater and watch movies or read a book. The only time I can even remotely enjoy the winter is when I'm snowboarding and I would enjoy it more if I could do that in a T-shirt in 80 degree weather. This means that one: I should move somewhere warmer and take up surfing, and two: I'm not enjoying throwing pottery right now.

My basement is cold and even though I bring my heater down there with me, its still cold. The water is cold, the wet clay is cold and to keep my body warm I have to wear layers of clothes which constricts me when I throw. I have to wear shoes or my toes (no joke) go numb! The sleeves of my hoodie won't stay up so they're covered in cold, wet clay the entire time. I am just not a happy camper in my basement. So lately I haven't been so motivated to throw, especially now since my Christmas presents have been all but fired.

So last night I was curled up in bed (where I had been since 5pm) and after eating cereal for dinner for the third night in a row, watched House for the umpteenth time this week and finished the book I've been reading, I decided to make some jewelry. Its perfect! My jewelry desk is on wheels so I can roll it into my nice, warm bedroom from my cold office (I purposely bought the desk because of this). So I rolled the desk up to my bed, put my heater where it could still blow warm air to me beneath the desk and began creating.

Here are the pieces I made and have listed on Etsy:

This bright green necklace set is my favorite, though I feel like the pictures I took just don't do it any justice, especially the color.

This necklace lays really nicely on the collar bone and the beads shine nicely in the light

I love the way this necklace turned out and it looks so good on, it lays perfectly on the neck


So those are my new pieces. It seems that because of the time of year you will mostly likely be seeing more of my jewelry too, since I can make it from the comfort of my own bed. Hope you like the new work!

No comments: