About The Artist

My photo
I am a jeweler, a potter...an artist I suppose. I have been creating hemp, glass bead and wire jewelry since 1996 but have only been throwing pottery since the Spring of 2008. I plan to open my own gallery and workshop within the next five years but for now I make my work out of my home and sell in galleries and online. I sell my work to feed my hobby and because I am running out of room for my creations in the house. My art, like this blog, is in it's beginning stages and I hope that as my reader you will join me in my journey as an artist and enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pieces in Process

Sorry I haven't written in a little while but no fear, I am still creating! I have yet to bring new pieces to the Odyssey for firing but I am still throwing and have new pieces drying, awaiting a kiln. I hope to go over there some time next week to learn the ropes and get the pieces into a bisque firing.

Here are some of my pieces in process:


This is the piece I threw using the technique I learned during the Studio Stroll. Its so simple but has such a cool result and I definitely want to experiment with it more.










Here is a new snake mug. Its fairly small but I really like the design!












I finally accomplished a gecko! I threw a fairly large pitcher and it was just such a great canvas I went for it and did this gecko on the side.


















I have had some Christmas presents break or ruined by glazing so I need to throw replacements and get them fired ASAP. Unfortunately I had a very unsuccessful night last night when trying to throw some new pieces. I drew out ideas all day at work yesterday and couldn't wait to throw last night but couldn't throw a single piece I had envisioned once I got home. Its so frustrating! Hopefully tonight will be a better night.

Last night I was trying to throw some recycled clay that had gotten just a little too hard so this was one of my problems to start with. I changed to my usual clay and had no better luck though, so I can only blame so much on the clay. I really want to use my left-over clay though, I feel wasteful just letting it sit around in bags. I went online and learned how to dry it out slowly and after throwing this is how my work table looks:
I can usually catch the clay once its dried just long enough and re-wedge it and its fine to throw. But last night the clay was too dry and just added to my horrible mood and I shouldn't have tried to fight it because it only made things worse.

I'm off to throw now. I can't spend a lot of time blogging or I won't have any time to throw, and Samantha is so demanding when I'm home and not doing anything she deems worthy of my time (like being on the computer). This is what she does while I blog:


That's my lap and she made sure to get on it and between me and the computer just enough to put it out of my reach. Oddly enough she's fine while I throw, most days. She wonders around the basement or sits on the stairs and watches me. The only time she gives me trouble is when she tries to drink out of my water bucket and gets slip all over her, which she has done multiple times. She's a faithful audience though, so I can't complain.

No comments: